Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Spring Break...2011

Late last summer I began my journey researching the "farm to table" concept.  This was sparked by the baking class I attended at Saltwater Farm in Maine last August.

Throughout the year, my husband and I visited local farmer's markets and independent restaurants that featured "farm to table" meals and resources.

We considered the small space in our courtyard and wondered if we could viably design an "urban type" raised-bed garden that would produce vegetables.  Our interest led us to a class offered at Salud! in Nashville which was led by a representative of Gardens of Babylon.  Gardens of Babylon is located at the Nashville Farmer's Market.  It carries a great variety of plants, trees, and shrubs including vegetable plans, herbs, and flowers.

Working in our small space, we designed our raised bed garden.  We began by drawing in scale what we hoped to accomplish. 


  The idea was to "go organic" and to use "lasagna layering" in order to provide nutrients for the plants.



Paul designed the actual space.  He used treated wood and added posts.  I added the copper caps!

Next, I researched which vegetables might grow in the space we had with the amount of sun throughout the day and with the underground watering system already in place.


We purchased starter plants at Gardens of Babylon as well as Martin's in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  Here's what we started with:


Two kinds of lettuce, strawberries, chives, onions, and a few garlic.

Next, lettuce, two cabbages, two broccoli, curly kale, redbor kale, and rosemary!


...more to come on my adventures as an urban farmer!



0 comments:

Post a Comment