Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The book collector...

I am a reader and ultimately a collector of books.  I think this stems from my not owning books as a child.  I remember running to the public library with my childhood friend, Colleen, to check out as many books as we could carry.

In fact, one of the first series of books I remember reading with Colleen was the Little House collection.

When my own children were little, I bought way too many books for them--books from bookstores, flea markets, and library sales.  I tried to encourage them to read as much as possible...and they still do!

Being a university professor, it is very easy to read for "business" rather than pleasure on most days.  But...with summer approaching, I am preparing for my summer reads.

With this said (...and due to the numerous books we own), I often use books for decorating.  I don't think there is a room in our house that doesn't contain a book!  Shelves everywhere, books galore!  ...sometimes the "piles" get out of hand like the one above that reflects my obsession with the Sookie Stackhouse series...True Blood anyone?



Reading material on a  bedside table shelf in a bedroom 
... some reflect my thoughts on making homemade beer!



Favorite collections (above and below) and some leftover from my days as a classroom teacher.  These are displayed on built-in shelves in the family room.



Books from our travels on a table in the living room.

Books displayed on a library table.


Our collection of cookbooks on a sideboard in the breakfast area.


Paul's Bobby Flay collection on the sideboard in the breakfast area.

Collection of research books in my home office.




In my attempt to "curb my collection," I purchased an iPad.  I didn't think I would like the feel of the screen instead of actual paper pages as much as I do, but...  I am beginning an electronic collection already!  My "summer reads" so far:
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • The Carrie Diaries
  • Mrs. O. 
  • It Ain't No Sin to Be Glad You're Alive: The Promise of Bruce Springsteen
  • Dead in the Family
There is NO stopping the book collector!
 

 ...they tried to make me go to rehab but I said, read, read, read!



0 comments:

Post a Comment