Monday, May 3, 2010

Decorating with sundials!

Today I thought I would share some ideas regarding decorating with sundials!  Yes, that's what I said!

My husband has this obsession with making pottery sundials.  He begins by throwing a plate and then adds interesting enhancements to make the piece "usable."

Over the years we have taken pottery classes, we have accumulated numerous sundials and other "earth, space, and air" related instruments.

I decided at one point (not sure when) to begin adding my favorites to our courtyard.  I also keep some in the house and loft as conversation pieces.  I purchased plant stands here and there to place the sundials on within the courtyard. 

The glazes are varied and unique to each design.  Some use typical stoneware glaze, others reflect what is known as "ash" glaze.

Here are several:

Sundial with leftover water from the recent storms.  This one is on a tall plant stand.

Nestled at the base of a red Japanese Maple tree.

As a  base for an outdoor lantern (purchased from Restoration Hardware).

Trio at the base of a gas light.

Two more at the base of a large Nandina.

Another near the red Japanese Maple.

This one  holds a collection of objects picked up on our travels.

...interesting objects used as unique pieces in design and thinking of all those who were affected by the N'ville flood!






0 comments:

Post a Comment