Thursday, May 6, 2010

...turning the formal into the comfortable informal!

When we first moved into our house, the thought of filling our good sized dining room was daunting.


Not being a very "formal" person or entertainer, I had to think very hard about how I would decorate the room.

The building plans called for two round columns on each side of the opening.  So...my quest to turn a formal dining room into a comfortable, inviting room began by having the very "Greek looking" columns removed.



With this done, I added beadboard and had it painted white.  The beadboard is higher than a typical chair rail which usually appears in formal rooms.

The beadboard helped to create a bungalow look.  After we moved in, my husband added a plate ledge which now holds wheel-thrown plates that he made.



The furniture is from the Ethan Allen British Classics collection.  I selected the oversized table and chairs (arm chairs and side chairs), but not the sideboard to keep with a more informal look.


The carving on the chair backs and table legs reflect the British Classics influence.  Unlike most traditional dining room furniture, the table legs are carved with a sideways design instead of a vertical design.

No crystals on the overhead light fixture...that would be WAY too stuffy and traditional.  Instead, I selected this funky fixture that would probably be more suited hanging over a pool table!  I love it!



This old piece purchased at one of the Avant Garage sales serves as my "sideboard."  I store extra plates and glasses on a lower shelf and use the top for pottery!


This Ethan Allen small wine cabinet holds our collection of "first issue" wines.


Since the table is very long, it gives me many opportunities for displays!

For holidays, I have been known to go way overboard! 

This is a simple "in between events" table display that includes three stoneware pieces, hurricanes from Pottery Barn, willow branches, and a runner from Crate and Barrel that picks up the design of the carpet.

...and the finished room...for now!









...striving to make the formal...informal!


0 comments:

Post a Comment